Focal therapies for the treatment of localized prostate cancer: The role of irreversible electroporation – Present or future?
In the PSA era, the incidence of localized prostate cancer has been increasing. This reality requires new therapeutic strategies, in order to give an answer to patients, in whom active surveillance may be indicate but desire more interventionist strategy with minimal side effects and without compromising cancer control. In these cases, focal therapies that include irreversible electroporation may be effective alternative strategies. The irreversible electroporation is an emergent approach on focal treatment of localized PCa. The nonthermal mechanism that preserves the tissue architecture without damaging tissue structures, such as vessels and nerves within the target region, is the main advantage comparatively to other techniques used in focal treatment. The number of clinical studies is reduced and the results still immature.
2. Arnold M, Karim-Kos HE, Coebergh JW, Byrnes G, Antilla A, Ferlay J, et al. Recent trends in incidence of five common cancers in 26 European countries since 1988: analysis of the European Cancer Observatory. Eur J Cancer (Oxford, England: 1990). 2013.
3. Mottet N, Bastian PJ, Bellmunt J, van den Bergh RCN, Bolla M, van Casteren NJ, et al. Guidelines on prostate cancer. In: European Association of Urology Guidelines - 2014 [Internet]. Arnhem, The Netherlands: European Association of Urology; 2014. Available from: http://www.uroweb.org/guidelines/
4. Etzioni R, Gulati R, Cooperberg MR, Penson DM, Weiss NS, Thompson IM. Limitations of basing screening policies on screening trials: the US preventive services task force and prostate cancer screening. Med Care. 2013;51:295-300.
5. De Angelis R, Sant M, Coleman MP, Francisci S, Baili P, Pierannunzio D, et al. Cancer survival in Europe 1999-2007 by country and age: results of EUROCARE-5 - a population-based study. Lancet Oncol. 2014;15:23-34.
6. Valerio M, Ahmed HU, Emberton M, Lawrentschuk N, Lazzeri M, Montironi R, et al. The role of focal therapy in the management of localised prostate cancer: a systematic review. Eur Urol. 2014;66:732-51.
7. Bostwick DG, Waters DJ, Farley ER, Meiers I, Rukstalis D, Cavanaugh WA, et al. Group consensus reports from the Consensus Conference on Focal Treatment of Prostatic Carcinoma, Celebration, Florida, February 24, 2006. Urology. 2007;70 Suppl.:42-4.
8. Lu DS, Kee ST, Lee EW. Irreversible electroporation: ready for prime time? Tech Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013;16:277-86.
9. Jiang C, Qin Z, Bischof J. Membrane-targeting approaches for enhanced cancer cell destruction with irreversible electroporation. Ann Biomed Eng. 2014;42:193-204.
10. Canatella PJ, Black MM, Bonnichsen DM, McKenna C, Prausnitz MR. Tissue electroporation: quantification and analysis of heterogeneous transport in multicellular environments. Biophys J. 2004;86:3260-8.
11. Kim H-B, Sung C-K, Baik KY, Moon K-W, Kim H-S, Yi J-H, et al. Changes of apoptosis in tumor tissues with time after irreversible electroporation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;435:651-6.
12. Rubinsky J, Onik G, Mikus P, Rubinsky B. Optimal parameters for the destruction of prostate cancer using irreversible electroporation. J Urol. 2008;180:2668-74.
13. Marien A, Gill I, Ukimura O, Betrouni N, Villers A. Target ablation-image-guided therapy in prostate cancer. Urol Oncol. 2014;32:912-23.
14. Brausi MA, Giliberto GL, Simonini GL, Botticelli L, Di Gregorio C. Irreversible Electroporation (IRE), a Novel Technique for Focal Ablation of Prostate Cancer (PCA): results of a interim pilot study in low risk patients with PCA. Eur Urol Suppl. 2011;10:300.
15. Dickinson CL, Valerio M, Ahmed HU, Freeman A, Allen C, Emberton M. Early clinical experience of focal therapy for localised prostate cancer using irreversible electroporation. Eur Urol Suppl. 2013;12:e584.
16. Valerio M, Stricker PD, Ahmed HU, Dickinson L, Ponsky L, Shnier R, et al. Initial assessment of safety and clinical feasibility of irreversible electroporation in the focal treatment of prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2014;17: 343-7.
17. Hale Z, Miyake M, Palacios DA, Rosser CJ. Focal cryosurgical ablation of the prostate: a single institute’s perspective. BMC Urol. 2013;13:2.
18. Giannarini G, Gandaglia G, Montorsi F, Briganti A.Will focal therapy remain only an attractive illusion for the primary treatment of prostate cancer? J Clin Oncol. 2014;32:1299-301.
19. Mearini L, Porena M. Pros and cons of focal therapy for localised prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer. 2011:2011.
20. Haffner MC, Mosbruger T, Esopi DM, Fedor H, Heaphy CM,Walker DA, et al. Tracking the clonal origin of lethal prostate cancer. J Clin Investig. 2013;123:4918-22.
21. de la Rosette J, Ahmed H, Barentsz J, Johansen TB, Brausi M, Emberton M, et al. Focal therapy in prostate cancer-report from a consensus panel. J Endourol. 2010;24:775-80.
22. Muller BG, van den Bos W, Brausi M, Futterer JJ, Ghai S, Pinto PA, et al. Follow-up modalities in focal therapy for prostate cancer: results from a Delphi consensus project. World J Urol. 2015.
23. van den Bos W, Muller BG, Ahmed H, Bangma CH, Barret E, Crouzet S, et al. Focal therapy in prostate cancer: international multidisciplinary consensus on trial design. Eur Urol. 2014;65:1078-83.