Ureteropelvic junction obstruction caused by Fibroepithelial polyps in children
Fibroepithelial polyps are extremely rare benign tumors arising from mesodermal tissue in the ureteral wall in children, that can cause ureteropelvic junction obstruction.
In this report, we present an 11‐year‐old boy complaining of left intermitent lumbar pain related with ipsilateral hydronephrosis. Surgical exploration revealed several endoluminal polyps located at the ureteropelvic junction, obstructing the lumen of the ureter.
Standard treatment consists in resection of the affected ureteral segment followed by open or laparoscopic dismembered pyeloplasty. The prognosis is excellent.
2. Stuppler SA, Kandzari SJ. Fibroepithelial polyps of the ureter. A benign ureteral tumor. Urology. 1975;5:553-8.
3. Musselman P, Kay R. The spectrum of urinary tract fibroepithelial polyps in children. J Urol. 1986;136:476-7.
4. Galifer RB, Aubert D, Couture A, Veyrac C, Barneon C, Kötter R. Fibrous epithelial polyps of the pyelo-ureteral junction in children. Presentation of 3 cases and review of the literature (33 cases). Chir Pediatr. 1988;29:318-24.
5. Niu ZB, Yang Y, Hou Y. Ureteral polyps: An etiological factor of hydronephrosis in children that should not be ignored. Pediatr Surg Int. 2007;23:323-6.
6. Karaca I, Sencan A, Mir E, Sayan A, Ortac¸ R. Ureteral fibroepithelial polyps in children. Pediatr Surg Int. 1997;12:603-4.
7. Casser Delia E, Joseph VT, Sherwood W. Fibroepithelial polyps causing ureteropelvic junction obstruction in children – A case report and review article. Eur J Pediatric Surg. 2007;17:142-6.
8. Li WM, Wu WJ, Ke HL, Chai CY, Chou YH, Huang CH. Fibroepithelial polyps causing ureteropelvic junction obstruction in a child. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2005;21:282-5.
9. Macksood MJ, Roth DR, Chang CH, Perlmutter AD. Benign fibroepithelial polyps as a cause of intermittent ureteropelvic junction obstruction in a child: A case report and review of the literature. J Urol. 1985;134:951-2.
10. Wang XM, Jia LQ, Wang Y, Wang N. Utilizing ultrasonography in the diagnosis of pediatric fibroepithelial polyps causing ureteropelvic junction obstruction. Pediatr Radiol. 2012;42:1107-11.
11. Iwatsuki S, Kojima Y, Mizuno K, Tozawa K, Kohri K, Hayashi Y. Laparoscopic management for fibroepithelial polyp causing ureteropelvic junction obstruction in a child. J Urology. 2009, 12.062.
12. Sharma NK, Stephenson RN, Tolley DA. Endoscopic management of fibroepithelial polyps in the ureter. Br J Urol. 1996;78:131-2.