Rare Association between Prostate Adenocarcinoma and Schistosomiasis: A Case Report
Human schistosomiasis, the second most devastating parasitic disease, is common in developing countries, but rare in Europe. Urogenital tract involvement is mainly due to Schistosoma haematobium infection. Schistosomiasis has long been associated with malignant neoplasia. Some authors have hypothesized a causal relationship between schistosomiasis and carcinoma of the bowel, kidney, bladder and prostate. To data only 17 cases of concomitant prostatic adenocarcinoma and gland schistosomiasis have been described. As an uncommon example of a potential complication of an untreated schistosomiasis, we report a case of an incidentally diagnosed urinary schistosomiasis after a radical prostatectomy for prostate adenocarcinoma in a 62-year-old African man living in a non-endemic area.
2. Sharma R, Mahore SD, Kolhe H, Patil R. Schistosoma in prostate- A case report. IJAMSCR. 2015;3(3):293-298.
3. Colley DG, Bustinduy AL, Secor WE, King CH. Human schistosomiasis. Lancet. 2014;6736(13):1-12.
4. Basílio-de-oliveira CA, Aquino A, Simon E, Eyer-Silva W. Concomitant Prostatic Schistosomiasis and Adenocarcinoma: Case Report and Review. BJID. 2002;6:45-49.
5. Bacelar A, GMC Castro L, Cheto de Queiroz A, Café E. Association Between Prostate Cancer and Schistosomiasis in Young Patients : A Case Report and Literature Review. BJID. 2007;11(5):520-522.
6. Azinhais P, Silva L, Conceição P, Pereira B, Borges R, Leão R, et al. Schistosomíase Urinária : Um Caso Clínico diagnosticado em Portugal. Acta Urológica. 2009;26; 3: 55-62
7. Ross AGP, Bartley PB, Sleigh AC, Olds GR, Williams GM, McManus DP. Schistosomiasis. N Engl J Med. 2002;346(16):1212-1220.
8. Ojurongbe O, Sina-Agbaje OR, Busari A, Okorie PN, Ojurongbe TA, Akindele AA. Efficacy of praziquantel in the treatment of Schistosoma haematobium infection among school-age children in rural communities of Abeokuta, Nigeria. Infect Dis Poverty. 2014;3: 30.
9. TKFMA and SRIGLEY JR. Adenocarcinoma of prostate and schistosomiasis : a rare association. Histopathology. 1995. 27, 187 189